Since this is meant for the international community, I will write in English only, and my Italian followers will (I hope) forgive me.
I was so surprised the other day when reading this post: the lovely Aidan wrote some VERY nice words about my blog. Surprised and flattered. It took me a while to realize that she had rewarded me with the Stylish Blogger Award.
I know that it is not the same as the Nobel Prize, but it doesn’t matter: for someone who always got low grades at school, this is quite an achievement.
So, what I have to do now is write 7 things about myself, then choose 7 blogs that I want to forward the Stylish Award to. Let’s start:
1. Aidan made me curious, so I had to look which Feng Shui element I am: soft wood. It mainly means that I am fond of green wood, plants and flowers. Maybe this is why I love my orchids so much. Not that I am very good at keeping other kind of houseplants.
I also like to walk, if in the nature even more (although snakes frighten me to death and I am always very cautious, and if at all possible I will have 1 or 2 people walking in front of me).
2. I badly wanted to study ballet. I do not know why, my mother never sent me to ballet school. Now she doesn’t even remember that when my Grandfather gave me some money, I bought a pair of red satin ballet shoes and that after I had done my homework I would put some music on and dance for myself till I dropped exhausted. This is the only regret that I have and the only thing in my life that I would change.
I studied ballet later, I walked into a school when I was 47 but unfortunately it was too late to become a ballerina! (Photo: Degage Dancewear Shop)
3. I had to give up ballet because I have many problems with my back. It happened a few weeks ago that I went to a Fundraiser Valentine Dance where this group was performing L’Atelier de Danse. They dance historical dances and the evening’s theme was Rag Time Dances. I danced all night and I am going to attend this school in the near future. I want to learn how to dance the Maxixe:
4. As years pass I give more and more value to feminine friendship. I met some extraordinary women in the past years, whose wisdom, humanity and honesty I admire. They give me support when I need it, they listen to my troubles, they give me advice but most of all, we laugh together. Some of them lived in Florence for a while, then left; some others I met when abroad, and some live in Florence. It is a net.
5. I am madly fond of Indian cooking. I went a few times to India with my mother, we have been to extraordinary places where there are no tourists, I learned to eat with my fingers (it didn’t take long), to quarrel with a tuk-tuk driver, to bargain prices. It was fun, fun, fun, a country where I feel at ease and that I would like to know more.
6. There was a time in which I was so insecure that I only wore dark blu, grey and brown. This saddened my paternal Grandfather, who wished the I would dress in brighter colors. This is what I do now, I try to put color not only in my life but also on myself. The epitome was the Solstice Cardigan: I think that I never had anything flashier than this.
7. The definition of ‘stylish’ that i found on the web is: having elegance or taste or refinement in manners or dress.
I agree, It doesn’t depend on fashion for me. The blogs that I find stylish, that I have been following for a while, and to whom I am passing the award are hereunder, in no particular order:
Neki Desu @ A movable feast for her extraordinary expertise in dyeing and weaving. Sometimes I do not understand what she means, and I am begging her to give me a class but she is too modest to accept.
Ellen @ LA is my beat who is an indefatigable crocheter (among many things) that I read with enormous pleasure also because she keeps me updated about what is going on in Los Angeles
Ingrid @ The fable of the Table who took my hand and is leading me into a photographic adventure, where I am able to ‘meet’ with some other welcoming and fun people that I would have never met otherwise
Astrid @ Red Red Completely Red : I can not believe that she can post so much around ‘red’ and on a variety of topics (she has a little girl to whom I lost my heart)
Selina @ Selina’s Vintage, the very talented Selina of the Great Stocking Swap who opened another door on the world of creativity for me
Kirsty @ You had me at Bonjour who makes me laugh and inspires me in other ways
Rachel @ Squiggly Rainbow a young, very busy mother with a big heart and lots of energy
There are so many others that could be on this list, but I can only list 7. Girls, now it is your turn to pass the award.
And, once again: thank you to Aidan!